Called To Serve

Called To Serve
I am so excited for this opportunity to serve the people in Ghana for the next 2 years! Hope you enjoy all the letters and pictures!

Monday, May 15, 2017

Do and Teach

Matthew 5 : 19

...but whosoever shall do [the commandments] and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Family,
Mothers Day is a great day for each of us. A time for us to reflect on our mothers, the ones who gave birth to us and the ones who have carried us through our lives. The thing I've always observed of my mother is that she teaches by example. She taught my siblings and I not by her words, although she used many words on us, but by her actions. This week I was looking for opportunities to serve as I have always watched my mother serve. 

Thank you mom for always sacrificing for me. Being a mother is difficult and they give of themselves each day, but remember that it doesn't go unnoticed. You are examples that I continue to follow. This week we were teaching our Brother Antwi with his neighbor Comfort. Brother Antwi is blind and I just asked him if there was anything that we could do to help him. He asked what kind of help? I said cooking, sweeping, washing... As soon as I said washing he said, "Yes! I've been feeling shy to ask you, but it is difficult for me to wash. Will you come and help me?" This week Elder Harris and I got bought some soap and rode to Brother Antwi's home. He was waiting with his washing buckets. We gathered his clothes and filled the buckets with water from the well then started in. We talked of his family and his Gospel questions. We sang hymns together and are helping him to learn "The Spirit of God." In the middle I remember holding up his underwear (garments), it was just covered with stains. He is blind so he doesn't know when it is dirty, it was a mess. In that moment I was reminded of the many times my mother changed my dirty diapers, cleaned my mattress when I wet the bed, and even cleaned up vomit off of the bathroom floor. Mothers learn to be selfless, not from talking about being selfless, but from acting in those moments. They learn charity as they act in circumstances that demand that love from them. 

Thank you mothers everywhere for being selfless, not only in word but in deed. Thank you for teaching as you do the commands of God. For this very reason each of you will be called great in the kingdom of heaven, just as you are great in each of our hearts.

I love you all.

Mi Kwaba,
Elder Bergeson

Brother Antwi
My Asokore Mothers. I love them to death
Washing clothes for a blind man, Brother Antwi

Elder Harris, Brother Antwi, and Elder Bergeson

Happy Mothers Day - Elder Bergeson's 
other mothers in Asokore



No comments:

Post a Comment