Called To Serve

Called To Serve
I am so excited for this opportunity to serve the people in Ghana for the next 2 years! Hope you enjoy all the letters and pictures!

Monday, November 23, 2015

Trainer

Doctrine and Covenants 14: 11
And behold, thou art [Kaden], and thou art called to assist; which thing if ye do, and are faithful, ye shall be blessed both spiritually and temporally, and great shall be your reward. Amen.
Dear Family and Friends, 
What a wonderful week. I have truly fallen in love with my mission. I have fallen in love with the people, the food, the disappointments, the Gospel, and even the lying in bed at night just dripping in sweat like you just got out of the shower. I love hand washing, cooking and dancing. I love how difficult the work is; walking in the sun all day, getting yelled at and spit at by people. But most of all I love the Lord and the opportunity He has given me to grow on this mission.
This week was the end of my 12 weeks of Training. As missionaries, you go to the Missionary Training Center and then you go into the mission field. The first 12 weeks (3 months) in the field are spent learning from a Senior Companion (Trainer). They basically teach you how to survive as a missionary. My Trainer was Elder Fayeampah. And because my Training is over, Elder Fayeampah has been transferred to a different area in the mission. 
Elder Fayeampah, Elder Liongitau, Elder Nissinen and I were all sitting at our dining room table this Thursday at 9:00 am, having a study of the scriptures as an apartment. Suddenly Elder Liongitau's phone range and it was the missionaries who are in charge of us. He answered it and was told to put it on speaker. They said: "Elder Liongitau, you are being transferred to Sun City. Elder Fayeampah, you are being transferred to Sohoum. Elder Nissinen, Elder Bergeson, you will both be training." My heart dropped into my stomach. I have been called to be a Trainer. This means that I will be receiving a new missionary from the US or from Africa who I will get to train to be a great missionary. Training basically means that you have now become a father to a newborn son because when these missionaries come they don't know much. You can imagine how nervous I was though because I myself don't know that much. I will get into that later, but I wanted to let you all know that I have been called to be a Trainer.
Because it was the end of my own training this week, I was given the assignment to lead in all of the discussions and lessons. I was anxious as always because Elder Fayeampah told me that I would do all of the talking. In Ghana the people speak English but it is British English, so the way they say things are different from us. So when I speak they have a hard time understanding me. Well we went to go visit a less active member named Mama Florence. Her younger sister recently passed away and we decided to talk to her about the Plan of Salvation. The only problem is that she doesn't speak very good English and she has never been able to understand me. In lesson, if I say anything she normally just asks my companion to translate my English into their English. Well, I knew we were going to visit her and I knew how well she understands me. So I did the only thing one can do in these situations; I offered a prayer in my heart that she would understand. We went to Mama Florence and I bore my testimony to her that if she keeps the commandments and lives righteously, then she will be able to live with her sister again. At the end of the lesson Elder Fayeampah asked her if she understood everything and all she said was "Yes" but to me that meant so much. I know that the Lord is mindful of us at all times and that he does answer our prayers.
On Friday I had the opportunity to go to the Ghana, Accra Temple. The Temples are The House of the Lord on Earth. In them, members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are able to make covenants with our Heavenly Father that last through this life and in the next life. Theses covenants are promises between God and man that if we keep His commandments, we will be blessed. While you are in the temple you are given a lot of opportunities to ponder and listen to the Holy Ghost. The temple is a beautiful and peaceful place where you can pray and receive answers and comfort from your Heavenly Father. And this trip was one that I felt I really needed answers to my prayers. As I was praying, expressing how inadequate I felt to be called to Train a new missionary, I was prompted to open up the scriptures that were next to me. I opened up to Doctrine and Covenants 14: 11. It was a direct answer to me that the Lord knows us. He brought so much peace into my heart from those words; you are my servant and you are called to assist. I know that our Heavenly Father loves each of us. He is with us and this is His work and we are His children. Never forget that you are loved.
I love you and your Father in Heaven loves you.
PREPARE IT
Elder Bergeson

Last Picture of Elder Fayeampah
and Elder Bergeson
before transfers

No comments:

Post a Comment